Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Lincoln Lawyer

I found myself with some time in Kelowna the other day, so decided to go see the Lincoln Lawyer with Matthew McConaughey. I had wanted to see this movie and so far it had not arrived in my town, so here was the opportunity. Thank goodness for Spring break, when they also have day time movies.
There were three of us in the theatre to watch Matthew do his work. I must say I do enjoy his movies. He seems to embody, in his style, the characters he plays. I think he must really look for ones he knows he is suited for.
I did not know the story of the Lincoln Lawyer, not having read the book or really heard too much about it, but the plot was delightful. How a lawyer, who works out of his car, defending guilty people is hired to defend a rich kid/man, played by Ryan Phillippe - who did a great job in that role - when he finds out he is actually the person who killed one of his previous clients who had said he was innocent but he did not believe and made a plea bargain putting him away for 15 years. Guilt results, yet he is sworn as his lawyer to defend and keep his counsel.
How the plot unravels is masterful, and if you have an opportunity to see this, its good to watch. Oh yes, there is a bit of pay back and some tense moments, but it is all about knowing how to manipulate the law, people and get the result you want. A few surprises, but all in all and enjoyable plot line and as usual with Mathew McConaughey a good watch.  3 1/2 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment