Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Company You Keep - movie review

Sitting recuperating from all the driving I have done lately, I decided to take a look at what was showing on my Cable company's Movie on Demand.  Within a few minutes of looking I was watching The Company You Keep with Robert Redford, Shia LaBeouf, with supporting actors Stanley Tucci and Nick Nolte, Julie Christie and the ever wonderful Susan SarandanChris Cooper and Terrance Howard as the FBI agent.  I could keep going with names, as you recognize people as the film goes along. 

Robert Redford directed, as well as starred in this movie, and I'm sure got all his 'friends' or people he wanted to work with somehow involved.  A great cast. The story of an old 'waterman' woman played by Susan Sarandan, turns herself in after 30odd years.  This puts a young newshound played by Shia LaBeouf, very well I might add, and he runs across Robert Redford as a lawyer, Jim Grant.  He soons determines that he is Nick Sloan, another of the 'waterman' wanted.

The movie then follows Jim Grant's journey as he leaves his young daughter with his brother, goes and finds other 'old' friends until he locates Mimi (Julie Christie - still looking wonderful). All the way Shia's character is poking, looking, putting two and two together until the story reaches its conclusion. 

I thought the premise, the acting and the unfolding of the story on the whole was good.  Robert Redford was at his usual best, and I was impressed that he could 'run' so well at his age (when I don't). It was fairly long (over 2 hours), and some scenes seemed to drag, but on the whole a good story. One in which kept me entertained while I rested.
3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment