Tuesday, February 25, 2014

3 Days to Kill movie review

The first look at this title 3 Days to Kill and the image they portrayed I did not think it was something I wanted to see, after all, I'm a little tired of all the guns and the needless killing shows out there.  But Sunday afternoon came with nothing really to do, so off I trot through the snow falling to see 3 Days to Kill.


What a surprise. There was a part of me that thought this might be misnamed and I think I was right, but I'm not sure what I would have called it. Yes, there was killing, but it was FUNNY.  I laughed so much through this movie, between people being shot dead, which in itself, shame to say was also funny for the most part.


Some scenes are not pleasant to look at, but so many were.  The Writer Adi Hasak (and others) did a great job of catching the comedic relief to the tension. The idea of this man who is dying spending time with his daughter, who is in total teenage rebellion, and who actually says to him "We have 3 days to Kill". And kill it they do.


Yes people die, but by killing the bad guys the good guy, Kevin Costner does super great as the old, dried up CIA agent who is dying is given an experimental drug and is saved. Hailee Steinfeld does great as the teenage daughter, who Ethan, Kevin Costner's character has not seen since she was little. She's mad, she's hurt, she's a 'teenager'.  Connie Nielsen plays Ethan's wife (they are not divorced) but its Amber Heard as Vivi the person who hires him to get the really bad guy who has nuclear weapons in a suitcase no less who is dramatic.  This movie is well casted. I never once thought, wrong person for this part, even right down to the smallest role.


I love plot twists, especially when I figure them out before hand, and I figured this one out.  Yes I knew they were all going to end up at the 'party' at the end and the resulting 'get the bad guy' ending.


No matter if there were killings, no matter what...chasing on a purple girls bicycle.  I laughed.  The juxtaposition of daughter vs the job was well written, well executed and everyone laughed. To see a different type of killing movie, then this is it.  3 Days to Kill is enjoyable - surprisingly.


3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment