Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pillars of the Earth - a DVD set

I recently rented the three disk set of Pillars of the Earth on DVD. Eight hours of absolutely wonderful movie making. This is what movies are about. If you want to watch the ultimate in movie making, then make an effort to rent these DVD's or catch it on TV. If you can watch it like I did in one long run then do so. I began watching one night, and ended up watching until around 1am. Then I was back up at 7am to complete watching all the episodes before clients began arriving. But even going one disk at time is worth it.
As a person who is 'critical' of movie making, I could not find one thing wrong. Every person seemed the greatest for the role. Every scene was super well done. I was so impressed with everything I even took the time to watch all the extras at the end of each Disk.
The only thing is you must keep going on each disk. There are two or three sections on each disk, but what wonderful creative work. If you are not familiar with Ken Follet's book Pillars of the Earth, this DVD set will have you become aware. I have read the book twice (maybe three times) over the years since it came out. Its a spectacular story of intrique and weaving many different story lines together as it explores the politics and peoples of the times it is set in.
Great sets, great direction. Loved the director, who did all eight hours of this, plus the editing. Magnificent. Want to give yourself a treat going back in time. Then this is the DVD set to do it with.

No comments:

Post a Comment