Friday, December 9, 2011

Hugo

I came away from watching Hugo in 3D wondering about the movie. Did I like it? What had I enjoyed? What did I not enjoy? I had heard it was hailed as the best 3D movie, and although I truly wanted to put that comment away I kept wondering why someone would say that. I really did like it when occasionally a person was speaking they seemed to come right out and be right in front while the background fell away. Or, was it because it seemed to show the movement of the clocks in high definition (HD) or what. Did I enjoy the movie? Now that is the question. As I have often found how tired I am can have an influence as to how I see a movie and it was the end of a long day of shopping, a massage and the general hussle and bussle of this time of the year, that could be a factor, and I thought the beginning part of the movie a bit too long, and did not grab me at all. In fact it wasn't until the young girl (played by Chloe Moretz) began her friendship with Hug (played wonderfully by Asa Butterfield) that my attention became full time. This friendship and interrelationship was definitely the mainstay of this movie. Sacha Baron as the Train Inspector was terrific as were all the 'bit players' of this movie. Sir Ben Kingsley was great as the irritable old toy shop keeper - in fact every actor played their part superbly. The acting was sublime. The interactions as the story built was great. So, what was the problem. I think the scenes held a bit too long on old metal objects, ie the clocks, the books (oh they are not metal) and the automaton upon which the movie rotates was the issue. Yes I'm being critical, but remember when I go to a movie I want to be moved, to laugh or enjoy the underlay story line. I found I was not moved as much as I could have been, but the relationship between the children was good, and some of the philosophy which came through, especially at the end was nice, but felt something missed the mark. Perhaps it was the hype, perhaps it was - who knows. Should you go see this movie - yes. The photography by the master Martin Scorese is worth seeing, the old time look (after world war I) is great. Paris always is lovely at any time of the year, especially when snow is coming down - even when created. In looking back each segment of the movie was wonderfully done, so what was missing. I don't know something for me was, you need to go see it and see for yourself. I truly would like comments on this one.
3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment