Sunday, September 5, 2010

Eat Pray Love

Last night several of us had supper and then went to see Eat Pray Love with Julia Roberts. Although one of us had to leave to attend a husband who was not well, the rest of us said how much we enjoyed it at the end. Personally, I found the first two sections a bit slow. The divorce and romancing the young actor for some reason (for me) did not 'take'.  Not sure what or why, perhaps the chemistry wasn't there, but I was glad when she left for Italy. This part of the book I had enjoyed, here it seemed disjointed at times and then she arrives in India. Here is where the movie took off for me. The scenes rolled together, and the storyline flowed. Humor was introduced and somehow I relaxed into the story. And then Bali. The beauty, the ease and the essence of the story line. Although my friends said how much they enjoyed it, I kept quiet in that I thought it could have been better. For instance, I would have liked (and was waiting for) the postscript that comes up at the end saying what happened to them (even though many of us had read the book and knew - I wanted to read it). I feel the movie could have been a bit better, if they had Julia Roberts act as a narrator transitioning the events, filling in some of the deeper emotional moments.  Oh well, what do I know. I just think it would have made it much better. I really wanted that postscript and I felt a bit let down when it wasn't there.  This movie was a person's life, not just a book and yet somehow the movie was made like it was just another made up book.
Therefore I give it 3 stars out of 5.  (nearly only gave it 2 1/2) but the scenes of the locals were great.

No comments:

Post a Comment