Friday, September 24, 2010

Mao's Last Dancer

Yesterday I was treated to a most wonderful movie. Mao's Last Dancer.  I enjoyed the movie so much I want to go buy the book and read more of this main characters story. Expect for Bruce Greenwood, I did not recognize any of the actors, mainly because they were dancers. What dancers and what a story. A story of a young boy chosen from a village to go to Beijing to train as a dancer. This young boy had no interest in ballet, but had the flexibility and therefore was sent to the school. He came from a large family, his name being sixth son (of seven) and was known as Li (Lee). The editing was wonderful as it wove the story of his early years with what happened when he came to the U.S. on a three month visa to study with the Huston Ballet. The sensitivity, the creative dancing, the story of relationships were all wonderfully directed and woven and photographed.  Plus it shows a little of the regime at the time of Mao and the Cultural Revolution. As you can tell I cannot say enough about the quality of the movie. Tears at the end of course helped, as the show came to a conclusion. And I loved, as usual, the end notes that tell you what happened to the main characters.  This one I give 5 out of 5.  A must see!

No comments:

Post a Comment