Friday, October 8, 2010

Our Town

Last night I ventured out with the wind whistling away, like a storm was going to come, but it didn't, or if it did it was when I was asleep. Asleep I wasn't during the movie Our Town. Ben Affleck has always been a favorite of mine, even when Hollywood seem to be dissing him. He was smart, took a break from movies, got his personal life sorted out and came back with some great acting and directing. In Our Town he does both, it most certainly had action, yet the acting from the main characters was really good. Last year's Oscar winner certainly did his role proud. His was the harder part to play, I thought, in order to convince us of his complicated character. I definitely got it, all the complexity of growing up in a certain neighbourhood, believing certain 'honor' is the way to do things. Ben himself was his excellent self and his directing skills are certainly as good as many.
The question is "did I enjoy this movie?" Well can't say I enjoyed it, with all the guns blazing and people dying, but the story was told well, the acting was good with the characters believable. On that level yes, and of course my usual complaint about editing seemed fine too.  All in all a well done movie. The question for me is it a 3 1/2 or 4 stars.  I think 3 1/2. Well worth seeing if you can take guns blazing, shootouts with a love story. But no happy ever after ending, but then that is what made it a good movie.  Still 3 1/2 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment