Friday, June 17, 2011

Movie review - The Way Out!

During the last week I did not get to go see any movies at the local movie house, but instead have been watching some DVDs again and one movie I got through the movie on demand through my Shaw provider. As I was going through the different movies, some I had seen and some did not appeal until I looked at this movie I had not heard or read about The Way Out.
I saw at Ed Harris and Colin Farrell, both good actors were in it, so decided to watch it. Was I ever glad I did. Now this is how movies are supposed to be. The story line was during World War II, seven men escaped from a prison camp in Siberia - three of them finally walked into India - 4000 miles (or k's can't remember) later. The movie was the story of what happened.
Well directed, well acted, a great story, based on a book I believe was called "The Long Walk", but I only saw it for a split second buts that's how I remember it. In fact, after seeing the movie I would like to read the book.
These men walked through forests, around lakes, evading villages, across guarded railway lines, past the border from Russia into Mongolia, only to find that also was communist, desert, where they nearly died of thirst, and then finally the Himalaya's going into Tibet and then finally into India. I thought the screenplay was well written, the acting superb, except for the two names mentioned above I did not recognize any one, but great story. There was a girl who joins them and I believe it is the same girl who acted in Lovely Bones (not sure, but it looked like her and I can't remember her name) but she is also a great actress. This was a film about leadership, determination and loyalties (one of them played by Colin Farrell could not leave the USSR, so stayed even though knowing he would go back to a prison camp. People died where buried, but it could have been much higher. The American in the group (oh yes there was an American there - explained how come - and he did not go all the way into India, but separated from them in Tibet. I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through the two plus hours.
I was so intrigued about the movie I wanted to know where it had been filmed due to the differences of landscape. I plowed through the credits and found, UK, Bulgaria and Australia mentioned. This is a film well worth watching, another great movie that has not got the publicity I believe it deserved. I give this 4 out 5 easily. Hope you get to see it at some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment