Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Movie Review - Seven Psychopaths

A wet, holiday Monday and what do I do, go and see Seven Psychopaths.  Within minutes I was wondering if I was out of my mind. First of all I don't like a lot of language which begins with F and I was fearful that would be too much for my tender ears. Luckily it subsided and I did not feel I had to leave the theatre, but I still wondered what on earth was I doing sitting there.  Did I laugh?  At times yes, it was so ridiculous I had to laugh, and at the same time, internally asking myself was I as crazy as the people on the screen seeing I was laughing.
The premise a struggling screenwriter inadvertently becomes entangled in the Los Angeles criminal underworld after his oddball friends kidnap a gangster's beloved Shih Tzu.sounds harmless, if not funny. Right - Wrong. This movie is for those who like the bizarre story plots, the f language and find lots of blood spurting out of peoples clothing fun. Not really my cup of tea.
Regarding the acting, Colin Farrell as the struggling, alcoholic writer was his usually good self. Sam Rockwell, truly the main character in this movie, is funny in his crazy psychopathic way. Christopher Walken (who always unsettles me in his parts, even when he is great) walked easily through his role. Woody Harrelson, was great as the criminal boss whose love of his life - his Shitzu dog who gets taken. All the characters except Colin Farrell get killed or end up in jail by the end of the movie. There is a lot of killing in this movie.
The interesting part of me, interspersed in between the killing and f language was some great philosophy. These psychopaths do know a thing or two about the meaning of life, or the exploring of the meaning of life, or just plain life and death. That made it worth while.
1 1/2 stars.  (I read it was given an 8 - wow I'm certainly getting old and expect some well crafted meaning in the movies I watch).

No comments:

Post a Comment