Saturday, November 10, 2012

Movie Review - Skyfall

Last night, my friend Trish and I went 'early' to the theatre to watch Skyfall knowing that there would be a line up. It was the first showing in our town. I was quite surprised that we could walk right up to the counter - where were all the people I was expecting. I had forgotten that in our brand new theatre you can order online, or come in and purchase ahead of time. There were four seats left in the theatre three rows from the front. So we took two of them. Once more we sat looking up at the big screen and once more mesmerised  by the action which was taking place above us.
Daniel Craig as the ever dashing 007 - James Bond -  did have a different look in this one. The usual wonderful opening action did not disappoint and you wondered for a wee while what actually happens to him, but Bond never dies so yes he reappears, a little worse for his adventure, but still Bond, who of course ends up saving the day. Judy Dench as "M" has a bigger role than usual, and at the end it becomes obvious why. She is always great in whatever she does. Javier Bardem as the villain was wonderful, although why they gave him that hair I don't know. Seems like that has become his villain trade mark - the hair. As the movie goes along and you hear why he has 'turned' you understand and can almost (I said almost) empathize with him. Ralph Fiennes shows up and it looks like we will be seeing more of him in the next two movies (which Daniel has agreed to do).
The lovely ladies, including Naomie Harris the new Eve Moneypenny, as usual are beautiful, although don't take up too much screen time. That is left for action. Things blowing up. Falling down. Interesting sets, and Sam Mendes does his usual great directing role.
The question always: "was this movie worth seeing".  For me, who likes the Bond series and has seen them all - yes. I like Daniel Craig as Bond, he brings such a different look and feel to him. A little older, a little tired and yet resolute.  Want to see a great action movie the go see Bond in Skyfall.
4 out of 5.
I made a special trip last Sunday to go and see Skyfall again. It was worth it. I enjoyed it even more this second time. I think I will have to get the DVD.



No comments:

Post a Comment