Friday, May 27, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Last night I ventured out to see Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. I had heard a review which said it was slow in the middle - I did not find it so. I found it great from beginning to end. The other review had said Johnny Depp had nothing more to say as Captain Jack, again I did not find this true. He played him with much more subtly, more sincerity and less drunkenness. I thought over all the movie was great. Bringing in the history of the pirate days, the fight between England and Spain, and of course Blackbeard, apply played by Ian McShane with Penelope Cruz as his daughter. That Johnny and Penelope have chemistry is no doubt and the ending gives us an idea of what will come in the next edition of the Pirates. Again the reviewer I had heard had some criticism of Rob Marshall's directorship. Again I disagree, I thought the fight scenes were wonderful, the closeups were a great addition and overall thought Rob did a splendid job. The theme of seeking out the fountain of youth is an ancient theme and works well here and one has to mention Geoffrey Rush, who always acts, no matter the role, sublimely. What a wonderful cast, what a wonderful movie -- even though I wondered what happened to the young man blinded by love with the mermaid as they swim to the deep -- perhaps never to find out. That was the only question I had. The rest was answered, left me wanting more and yes I'll line up for Pirates of the Caribbean 5.  Want to enjoy yourself, lost in an imaginary pirate world for over two hours, then go see this movie. I think you'll find its worth it.  4 1/2 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment