Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Movie Review - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Recently I was in Vancouver visiting my family for my daughters birthday and have a pre-Christmas dinner with all the family.  While there Bridget and I went and saw The Hobbit.  It was hard to believe it was three hours long. I did not move from beginning to end. Even Bridget who gets super uncomfortable in movies, said "hard to believe it was three hours, Mum". 
The Hobbit, if you have seen Lord of the Rings, has many similar characters, for me like a revisit, and I missed a few of the old ones, but got to enjoy some of the Dwarfs which are featured. Some scenes like the Brown driving his sled drawn by 'rabbits' who look like 'hares'. Talk about laugh and enjoy.  I loved seeing the opening scenes of Hobbiton, as I was visiting it live in February - (note to self must get my photos on facebook). The New Zealand scenery was spectacular.
I feel like I'm impantient for movie Number 2 to come out, the hint of the dragon arising - well, how will it turn. How will Bilbo Baggins do with the ring in his pocket, while Golem always lurks? Will the dwarfs win out? You can tell I have not read the book  (I tried many years ago, and just could not get into it).
Somehow the computer generated scenes fit in easily and although our minds tell us they are computer, they look real and when a large, snarling dog/wolf/whatever comes you react. I especially loved the large eagles which come at the end. 
The question always is - is this movie worth seeing - YES it is.  4 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment