Thursday, December 27, 2012

Movie Review Les Miserables

Another long movie in which the audience (including me) sat spellbound as the story unfolded in front of them. From the advertising before hand we knew the singing in Les Miserables, except for the original scene was done as it was shot. No studio singing. And yes, it made a difference, it was like watching a stage production, but with the most magnificent sets.  I originally saw Les Miserables on stage in New York and although I don't remember much of it, as it was a long time ago, I did purchase the CD set of the songs, as I had been moved by the music. I also watched the movie made with Liam Neesom and Geoffrey Rush again a few nights before going to see this production and therefore I was aware of  the story line. Although some of the information from the other movie filled in some blanks for me, this one was more, much more in that it had a lot more scenes at the ending, plus some characters which were not in the other one, and as I have not read Victor Hugo's novel, it does not matter, which story was accurate, as the story laid out here is so compelling.
The actors singing was great, even surprising, as who would think Russel Crowe could sing well enough to pull off the part of the never relenting police officer Javert - but he did. Wonderfully well. Hugh Jackman I knew could sing, but the acting and singing together definitely makes his part Oscar material. Simply put, he was great.  Anne Hathaway, another one, I did not know could sing, but does great in the role as the fragile, sad Fantine and then Amanda Seyfried, from Mama Mia so we knew she could sing, plus look innocently beautiful.
My friend Marion who was with me turned to me at the end of the movie, as I handed her a Kleenex said, "Now I know why this has been nominated for so many awards". 
The director Tom Hooper, who directed Kings Speech, did an amazing job, and I'm sure will also be recognized. Yes, many awards including Oscar nominations will come from this movie.  It is a must see.
If you don't know the story, Hugh Jackman's role, Jean Valjean is imprisoned for 19 years after stealing a loaf of bread, we come onto the scene as he is being released. He is on parole for life, and after stealing some silver from a church, the priest lets him go requesting he leave an honorable life. He changes his name, makes a new life until is old nemesis,  Police Officer Javert, Russell Crowe recognizes him, and then the story unfolds. Jean Valjean is reacquainted with Fantine, Anne Hathaway, as she is dying and advises of her daughter Cosette.
Valjean gets Cosette and they go to Paris, where she is raised in a convent, when they come out of the convent (oh yes, Jean Valjean works as the gardener there until Cosette wants to see the world). What she discovers is Marius, and they fall in love while the battle for the republic begins. Valjean saves Marius, so they can be together.  All done with wonderful singing and understanding.
I do have to mention the light side of two characters played by Helen Bonham Carter and Sasha Baron Cohen. They provided the levity, that the story sometimes needed, and were in their great acting style.
Whether you like musicals or not, this movie is definitely a must. A must to see on the big screen because of the environment, the feeling, plus the singing.  Go!!
5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment