Saturday, December 8, 2012

Movie Review - Midnights Children

Last night I chose to go and see a movie called Midnights Children. Several reasons for this, mostly it was because I had either seen the other movies offered or did not want to see them. Plus this was a movie from Deepa Mehta, who has done wonderful movies in the past.  I was not disappointed. This movie arrives with no publicity that I had seen. No previews that I saw. Nothing, Unfortunately, in this first showing only four of us were in the theater. I truly hope the theater fills out, as more and more people discover what a wonderful movie this is.
The story line, of how two boys, right on the stroke of midnight the day India has independence are switched. It primarily follows the life of Saleem, with Satya Bhabha playing the elder Saleem. He was born to poor parents, switched with a child born to rich ones. What makes this movie wonderful is its many story lines, each one explored and completed. You come away feeling filled. Like all the t's are crossed and the i's dotted. A wonderful screenplay written by the original author Salman Rushdie. As Saleem grows up, you also learn of the historical events between India and Pakistan. How the politics effect his family (and of course others) lives.
I was mesmerised by the cinematography, the transition scenes as Saleem grew up sometimes were so simple, but the events of the time reflected. This movie moved me on many levels. I was caught up in the story, I enjoyed the characters and their progression through life and some to their death. I loved the metaphysics, the philosophical statements made, especially when Saleem was able to contact other midnight children in their astral form.
He later on, after forgetting who he is, remembers when he sees one of the other midnight children, the beautiful Parvati, played by Shahana Goswami. His antagonist, the one he was switched with - Shiva - played by Siddharth, rises as a soldier and ends up persecuting Saleem and other midnight children, because of their 'powers'. 
This is a delightful story with so many levels. One which I want to see again to ensure nothing escaped me. The philosophy, the interactions, how love shows up, how people care, and how a man gets to raise a son who is not his and where one loves and the other does not. Most of all it shows the turmoil India and Pakistan have gone through and how lives are effected by it.
If you can go see this movie - Midnights Children. Its wonderful.  5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment