Friday, November 29, 2013

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - movie review

When I was reading the three Hunger Games books, I did not enjoy the middle (second) book. In fact I remember thinking, I don't know if I want to see the movie of this book.  Yet, there I was purchasing my ticket to catch The Hunger Games: Catching Fire movie.  I was surprised.  I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. In fact, I do want to see it again, as the action scenes have so much in them, you cannot possibly see it all the first time.  I think my imagination was worse than what was shown in the movie.

Once again Katniss Everdeen, played by Jennifer Lawrence and Peeta Mellark, played by Josh Hutcherson, go into the games.  This time though the odds are really stacked against them, once again, through to many twists of the plot, they are still surviving at the end. Once again great acting especially in the last scene by Jennifer Lawrence.

The supporting cast, which has some great actors, Donald Sutherland, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Liam Hemsworth and Woody Harrelson. This movie held my attention from beginning to end.

This is a movie you can pick up without ever seeing the first movie, but it does help to know the story line. I loved the clothes, the images of the fire coming up around their clothing while in the chariot being presented in the arena.  And the fighting scenes, well I've already mentioned those.  I enjoyed the movie much more than the book. The book left me depressed (often the middle book is the 'dark one' only to be redeemed in the third - think Star Wars). 

Director Francis Lawrence did a great job I'm sure with the editing (which I feel breaks or makes a movie).  We now have to wait another year for the next installment, and another year after that for the final installment.  Thank goodness time go fast.  In the meantime, I will go see this movie at least once more.
4 1/2 out of 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment