Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Homefront - movie review

I am a Jason Statham fan, and I was wondering how he would be playing this role in Homefront, where is plays a widower with a young daughter.  As a former DEA undercover agent, he moves to a 'quiet' town to raise his daughter.  Of course it is not 'quiet' at all James Franco is there as the drug dealer.
When Jason's character's daughter upsets Cassie Bodine Klum, played by Kate Bosworth, she sets her drug lord brother on him and the fun begins.  First I must say I did not recognize Kate Bosworth until the credits rolled at the end.  So thin!!!  Then I did not recognize Winona Ryder, playing James Franco's character's girlfriend, she looked great!  Therefore, great actors who I did not recognize until the credits. 

Isabela Vidovic who plays Maddy Broker, Jason's daughter does an admirable job as being able to take care of herself, and yet frightened when need be.  Another young actress who I'm sure will be 'working' a lot.

Although this movie has the usual Jason Statham's action it also has a warmer side of him, (perhaps not as much as some actors, but acceptable.).  Do you need to see this movie - no, but if you love Jason Statham, or like the gender, then yes, he is at his best. He has enough warmth to be the widowed father, he of course won't take anything from anyone...I said at the end "well that definitely got rid of any built up aggression I may have had".  My adrenaline was pumping. 

I was surprised to see that Sylvester Stallone wrote this movie, and I have read it was originally designed to be part of his Rambo series. Not overly deep, but entertaining.  Think of an older Rambo with a kid, but with Jason Statham playing the role. Quiet, deep, but taking no guff from nobody.

3 out of 5. (only if you like people being beat up and have your adrenaline going).

No comments:

Post a Comment