Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Fighter - movie review

Here I am in New Zealand and managed to see two movies today. First of all I must explain about the movie experience. I twice went to see this movie The Fighter at home and each time did not get to see it. I think I did not want to see people fighting. Anyway, today I had some time to spend and the Fighter was on. So into this theatre I went. Well first when you buy your ticket you also are at the concession stand so you can buy right there whatever you want to eat. Not that I had anything, but liked the idea of all in one. Then the lady who is selling me the ticket, turns the terminal around and picks a seat for me. So before I go in I know what seat I'm sitting in. Revolutionary! But, the big surprise came once I was in the theatre. Beautiful armchair chairs to sit in. Wow, what comfort. So here I am in a comfortable seat ready to watch the movie, which twice before I was going to go see and didn't. Third time lucky I guess.

The movie was way beyond my expectations. It really is a story of two brothers and this large family of nine, two boys and seven girls and the youngest boy in relationship with his crack head brother, who had been a boxer with promise. Now its the younger ones turn and how that works out.
I thought this movie was interesting. I look to see what emotions I feel during a movie. I laughed a couple of times, I definitely cried and I felt sad often. So the movie did its job. It took me through a range of feelings, it was very well acted and directed. Amy Adams shows a different character for her wonderfully well, foul mouth and all. Not enough can be said of the acting of my favorite batman. He had the character down perfectly. Mind you he is a phenomenal actor. When you see the clip at the end of the actual brothers you really appreciate how well he has acted the part. No wonder he is getting awards.  Walburg, also the producer did his part too. The quieter, younger brother who worshipped his older brother. You realize what he has to do in order to move ahead. 
I did not like the fight scenes, but they were mostly at the end of the movie wrapping up the story and I blanched a few times, but again well done.  This is a story of overcoming, overcoming family, overcoming beliefs and overcoming ones own doubts. Worth seeing -- it will no doubt get a couple of Oscars.  41/2 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment