Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Kings Speech

This evening I took my 93 year old sister-in-law's Mum to see the Kings Speech. She had said she wanted to see it, so I said "so do I, lets go". She is so spry it gives me hope for when I'm that old. Again the seats were wonderful - armchairs (read the last entry for the Fighter regarding the theatres here in New Zealand).
The Kings Speech is phenomenal. I don't think I have anything really to say except .... wow .... what a movie. This movie is wonderfully cast. Colin Firth, who is cleaning up on the award circuit so far is brilliant. Geoffrey Rush is wonderful and my big surprise truly is Helen Bohnam Carter, who to me does all sorts of crazy roles and here she is making the perfect Queen Mum. No wonder they got the ensemble award at the SAG awards the other night.
If you see one movie this year, this one is worth seeing. Based on the true story of King George VI you see behind the scenes on a time period when the world was in a bit of disarray with King Edward abdicating and the Second World War brewing. The story of how the King (the second son and all that means in royal households - think Prince Andrew and Prince Harry) who stammers had to overcome it all to speak on the radio and bring his people together. Brilliant. Triumph over adversity.
In all honesty I have to give this movie 5 out of 5, and hope the Oscars do give it to them, but who knows it is not an 'American' film. Although I do think Colin Firth will win it - hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment