Saturday, April 2, 2011

Battle: Los Angeles

I was almost surprised as to how much I enjoyed watching this movie. I went because I needed to go 'out' and there was not another movie on which I wanted to see. So this was the one. As I found my seat in this afternoon show, I realized there were not many in the theatre. Never mind - I was there.
I found the movie moved very well, not spending too much time on a scene - just enough to get the 'picture' as to what was happening, and then onto the next scene. I had been expecting a lot of noise and things being blown up, as per the promos. Again a surprise, it had a heartfelt story contained within it, and older marine who had lost men in his last tour who was now training young marines.
Now, due to this threat, which in the beginning they were not totally aware of he was thrown into being the master sergeant of a new group, one of which was the brother of one of the men who had died on his last tour. This sets up the energy projected towards him.
The group is sent to pick up some civilians who need to be taken to the safe zone. Now the story begins to heat up. Slowly we learn more and more about the invaders, how they seem to be machines and when Michelle Rodriguez's character joins what is left of the group they learn more. She seems to shine in these 'tough girl' roles.
Again slow but sure they lose more of their troop until a handful are left to fight their way to the safe zone, and on the way take out the 'master mind' of it all.
As I sat there in the late afternoon, I found myself caught in the story, the actors, Aaron Eckhart, doing a fine job as the Staff Sergeant, Bridget Moynahan as the yet, and the three child actors, all doing their part in playing their roles. When at the end, the men plus Rodriguez's character are 'full' marines and do not give up or in. I left the theatre quite happy with my two hours of watching men fighting machines. Oh yes the sub plot that the aliens were here for our water - now that is interesting too.
I give this movie 3 starts out of 5. Worth viewing for many slants.

No comments:

Post a Comment