Monday, October 10, 2011

Abduction

To overcome being home after completing teaching for three days I decided to go to the local theatre and see Abduction. The only thing I knew about the movie was Taylor Lautner was in it. I thought it would be interesting to see how he did in a movie which was not one of the Twilight series. I have to say I was impressed. In the beginning you can't help notice his brow and those 'wolf' eyes. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to watch him without thinking 'wolf' but I digress.
The first five or so minutes I thought 'oh no a teenage thing' but within ten to twelve minutes I was beginning to change my mind and by 20 minutes I was totally engaged. This is an interesting thriller. The premise of a teenager (Lauter) who believes he has been abducted begins a journey which is both well acted and thrilling. Within a short time his parents are dead, his house is blown up, his girl friend (not romantic in the beginning, but is by the end is played admirably by Lily Collins) is hurt and they are on the run. Sigourney Weaver plays his psychologist who helps him get away from the men who are trying to kill him too, but soon the two teenagers are on their own making their way through a forest to an address Sigourney Weaver has given them.
Here they get a few clues which they begin to follow in order to figure out who he really is. The CIA is also after them. Are they good guys or bad guys? It seems everyone is out to get them and yet they are smart and able to avoid capture. Then the end in which you breathe a sigh. All is explained (you really have to see this movie to find out all the whys and wherefores) and Nathan (Lautner) has a home while he finishes high school and gets on with his life. At least there was closure here. You knew what had happened and what was going to happen. Not like lots I've seen lately.
I did enjoy this movie once the first 15 minutes were done, but I also realize that needed to be there in order to explain his life before he finds himself online. I think anyone who likes a thriller and does not mind teenagers would enjoy this. Oh yes, people do get killed. It is hard to get away from the violence which crops up everywhere. But this movie is not for you if you can't see people shot dead and a house blown to bits.
I give this 3 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment