Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pacific Rim - Movie Review

Pacific Rim was another one of those movies I was not sure I wanted to see, although I had enjoyed the Transformers series the shorts on this one seemed too outlandish, etc for me. Anyway, I decided I would go and see it and I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, I found myself fascinated by the way in which the two people 'drifted' together in order to make the large mechanical man machines work.

It so happened, Friday when I saw this movie, (I caught the afternoon show in 2D because I did not want to see it in 3D) I was going home to do a 'channeling your guide' evening. I realized as I was watching the people 'drift' together it was similar to what I do with channeling, I allow a guide to come in and integrate with my voice, so they are in affect in my mind and voice in order to give their person a message.  This fascinated me, as I watched.

Then as the movie progressed I found myself having a moment of a different perspective. I was beginning to get upset with the constant thought 'the earth is ending' theme, which I have been finding in books, (Dan Brown's Inferno, James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge's Zoo in particular) and how in the movies they seem to destroy towns with no thought, that when they are crushing these buildings that there are people in them (Man of Steel for instance).  Anyway, I had been seeing this as the thought form for the 'killing off a good portion of humanity' being played out. 

But, as I have said in other reviews, sometimes you see a movie for a thought, or a scene well done. In Pacific Rim, I heard once more (it was also in the book Zoo, and World War Z) about how we have messed with the environment, and the petroleum's are doing something on a larger scale to the environment.

As I sat there, enjoying the discovering of the 'drift', watching the fights between the monsters coming out of the drift, and these large mechanical men (which by the way I often could not tell who was who while they were fighting) my realization that these books and movies were more about the environment and the affect on us, rather than just us being killed off. I found that awareness more peaceful. 

I was not familiar with the main actors except Idris Elba (from the English TV show Luther - I happen to like him a lot).  But, Charlie Hunnam (born in England) and Rinko Kikuchi, (born in Japan) I did not recognize from anything I have seen.  Seems like 2008 was when they both had movie releases, in genre I don't watch.

The question always is - is Pacific Rim worth watching.  If you like large mechanical beasts attacking each other, the world needing saving from aliens (that was a surprise) and how we humans win the day with out human stubbornness, then yes this is worth seeing.  Plus watching Idris Elba march around is worth it.
3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment