Tuesday, July 2, 2013

White House Down Movie Review

I admit I'm a Channing Tatum fan. I also admit I had a lot of criticism on the 'other White House' movie 'Olympus Has Fallen'.  So I was a little bit hesitant going to see Channing Tatum along with Jamie Foxx, and Maggie Gyllenhaal in White House Down. I did not want to have to sit through another take down the White House movie which had me thinking of all sorts of other things.

I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED - IT WAS GOOD!

This movie was about an insider, a close to the president insider, upset and wanting revenge. Its an unlikely theme, but doable, therefore, it made it more real.  I found the acting great, I found the theme acceptable, I found the comic relief wonderful. Some of the lines which Tatum and Fox exchanged were great. When you are tense from the action, there is nothing like a line being delivered which breaks the tension, before adding more.  Maggie Gyllenhaal, did her usual great job. She has become a wonderful character actress and I predict a long career for her as she gets better and better. Jamie Fox carried off his role with his usual ease, but for me Channing Tatum was the 'star', he had the larger role, and he did it wonderfully, I read where he did most of his stunts, good on him, as some of them were difficult.

The only thing....when someone is shooting an automatic at you, why do directors believe that we don't know the hero would be hit. I found in this movie too many times automatic fire was all around our hero, and he was only grazed once.  Come on!!  But, unfortunately, that is a truth of action movies, and it does give the wrong impression to our impressionable youth.  Bullets don't get you if you are fast. Oh yes they do, especially when the person shooting knows how to shoot. Movies are different than real life and flying bullets can hit you.  Oh well, that rant is over. Back to the movie.

Want to see a movie which is entertaining and enjoyable in the action genre, then I think movie holds up well. If you are a Channing Tatum fan like me, then you will love this movie. 
4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment