Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Wolverine - movie review

Watching Hugh Jackman play any role is a treat, but being The Wolverine is always spectacular, and this latest outing of our beloved 'iron man with claws' is no exception.  I did not know what to expect when yesterday I went, with my friend Trish to see it. In fact Trish was not sure she wanted to see it, she thought it was going to be too violent and did not want to see violence that day, but she succumbed and off we went together.

What a surprise, the movie, mostly set in Japan was a phenomenal movie, it was an action movie at its best. This movie needs to be seen if you are a Wolverine fan or not. It has a wonderful story line, it has action, it has heart, it has a new X-Man character - Viper, well played by Svetlana Khodchenkover. Tall beautiful and deadly, I found her demeanor quite frightening just sitting in the theatre.

Tao Okamoto plays Logan's romantic interest Mariko, with a fighter ally Yukio played by Rila Fukushima who has the ability to see when and how people are going to die. Hiroyuki Sanada also plays a part in this movie. (He seems to be cropping up in several movies. I first saw him on Lost so recognize him now).  Anyway, back to The Wolverine.  This movie has Logan soul searching, with dream sequences of his lost love Jean Grey, to come to terms with himself.  Then he is requested to go to Japan to say 'goodbye' to an old friend, but instead encounters a proposition to give up his immortality and become normal.

What ensures with him and his two Japanese ladies, Mariko as his love interest, and Yukio as his fighter companion is a great story  with action, softness and interesting Japanese scenery.

Much to my surprise, I enjoyed this movie from beginning to end.  A true action movie with all the components. Action, love, introspection and resolution.  You can't find much better.

On the way to drop Trish off I said I give this movie 4 out of 5, and she says why not 5 (which I have my beloved Star Trek into Darkness) and I said because Star Trek I have gone to see many times and will see it many times again, I do not feel I have to rush back and see this one, but it was great!!!!
4 out 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment