Monday, December 23, 2013

Saving Mr. Banks - movie review

Saving Mr. Banks with Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson and Colin Farrell was so worth going to see. I laughed, I cried I felt for P.L. Travers as an adult, adored her as a child played by Annie Rose Buckley.  This story of how the movie Mary Poppins got made is one which gives the audience much more than just a 'story'.  It is powerful.

Mr. Walt Disney pursued the film rights of this movie for 20 years. It was only when P.L. Travers is stretched financially that she agrees to meet with Mr. Disney. But she has her own idea of how the movie should be represented.  Fireworks, misunderstandings you name it. In the meantime, you laugh, you cry and you fall in love. You fall in love with the story of Mr. Banks.

The film is wonderfully edited by Mark Livolsi. Much credit goes to him in how he inserted the story of the young girl 'Ginty', who grows up to become P.L. Travers.  Colin Farrell is brilliant as her father, and as I really want you to see this movie I'm not saying anything more about the story of her Dad.

Needless to say Tom Hanks - he just keeps on getting better and Emma Thompson, both are brilliant.  The support cast held up their roles wonderfully well too. Coming out of this movie after crying my eyes out which shows this is a woman's movie, I was so glad I had seen it. It has a most wonderful section on forgiveness - one of my own topics.  How great to hear about it in a big budget movie. 

It also shows the impact on how we grow up and the effect into our current lives. Something I work with daily with my clients. Yes, this movie is one I could suggest anyone watch who wants to learn something about how the past affects the future.  Saving Mr. Banks could help you saving yourself!

Another 4 1/2 out of 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment