Monday, December 23, 2013

The Book Thief - movie review

Just after seeing Saving Mr. Banks, my friend Trish and I decided to go and see The Book Thief. I had wanted to see it and to ensure I got to see it before it disappeared in we went and once again we were not disappointed.  I must make a parallel here. We came out of the light yet very insightful movie of Saving Mr. Banks to come into the relatively heavy movie of the Book Thief, they could not be as far apart on the spectrum of entertainment. Yet the similarities were there. Both dealt with the past influencing the present. Both dealt with loss, forgiveness and understanding. It was quite a night for Trish and myself. As we drove back home (we had gone north to see these two movies) we discussed them - something we don't always do. But both movies had an impact.  Now onto The Book Thief.

World War II movies are not very popular, especially when the main character is about the German side of things, yet this human story is so touching of a young girl who is taken to live with strangers. She learns to read and loves books. In her love of books she steals 'borrows' them, memorizes them and either reads them to the young Jewish man the family is hiding, or recites them to others while in the bomb shelter.

This is a story which is not for the faint of heart, but wonderfully told and portrayed by the main characters. Lisiel played by Sophie Nelisse, Geoffrey Rush who plays her Papa and Emily Watson her plays her Mama.  Ben Schnetzer plays Max the young Jewish man. Her young male friend Rudy is played apply by Nico Liersch. 

Death plays a part in this movie, in fact is narrated by Death. What a perspective, and because it is death, perspectives are looked at which one may not necessarily consider.  I was concerned during the movie that all my questions would not get answered. What happens to this one, what happens to that one, and guess what they all get answered. Thank goodness.  It also shows the caliber of the movie that one is so involved you want to know what happens to them. Leave no end dangling.

I have not read the book, but a friend tells me it is excellent, and that I can believe, in fact, I may just have to read it because the movie is so impactful on how impactful war is no matter what side you are on. 

4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment