Monday, December 23, 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - movie review

As I'm a bit late getting my thoughts about this movie The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug written up, you may have already seen it, but if you have not, here is my thoughts.

First of all for some reason, I do not enjoy the Hobbit series as much as I did The Lord of the Rings. After saying that, I saw this in 3D and thought it was one of the best 3D movies I had seen, and if you have the choice, then choose 3D, the background, the Orc detail is magnificent. 

There is no doubt that Director Peter Jackson, has woven his magic as he brings middle earth alive once again and his cast of Ian McKellen as Gandalf, Martin Freeman as Bilbo and Richard Armitage as Thorn do their roles justice, although I thoroughly wanted to see more of Aidan Turner who plays Kili.  No wonder Evangeline Lilly as Tauriel is drawn to him. Her role was created so that a woman's presence could be seen in a male-driven cast. I thought she was spectacular!!!

 I also enjoyed seeing Orlando Bloom as Legolas once again. To me the movie lights up when he and Evangeline Lilly appear.  Then there is the voice of Benedict Cumberbatch as the Dragon.  That is wonderful to hear.

All in all, you need to travel the journey of the Hobbit, - concentrating on the dwarves - most of which I find uninteresting -- oh well. I know I will be there when the last installment is released next year, if only to see a few of the characters I love, and the scenery which is great and the wonderful sets. Plus as I have never read the book (although I attempted to several times) I want to see the end.
3 1/2 out of 5.  (Most of my friends who have seen it enjoyed it to at least a 4 to 4 1/2 -- unfortunately for me the dwarves don't inspire me).

No comments:

Post a Comment