Friday, December 24, 2010

movie review - The Tourist

Just in case you are reading this movie review before Tron: Legacy I went north to watch two movies, Tron: Legacy and The Tourist.
The Tourist was my second movie of the day and as I'm a huge Angelina Jolie fan (not so hot about Johnny Depp) I was looking forward to it. I had been disappointed in Tron: Legacy (but please read what I wrote) and as I sat down to see this movie I was hoping for the best. The last movie I had seen Angelina in was Salt, which I loved. But, once again this afternoon brought some disappointment. Angelina played the mysterious lady, and luckily she is so beautiful so the shots of her face and wondering on the miracle of make up to hide her numerous tattoos during different shots, did not thoroughly disappoint. But this woman is a phenomenal actress and I felt like she was walking through the part, hardly any movement except to walk and drive a motor boat (oh yes the dance scene - that was good) but she came over mysterious but cold.  Which was her part, it just seemed so one dimensional. I only found a little bit of this movie I could get my teeth into.  Everytime the movie would 'take off' it stopped.
I'm also a fan of Paul Bettnay (must not forget him) and even he seemed to play this role stiffly, while Johnny Deep seemed out of his league somehow. Regardless of my disappointment, there were some great moments. On the dance floor, then the twist at the end (which by this time I had figured out) after all there were several hints along the way.  I don't know who the director was, but I think a different director might have produced a different movie. one in which we all would want to pour in to see, after all the scenery of Venice is always a treat and the suspense as different peoples were chasing each other could have produced more tension than it did.  The question I ask myself is The Tourist worth seeing. Probably yes, which is why I give it a 3 out of 5, but you don't want to have to travel to far to go see it.
Over all, although I enjoyed my day off to go see two movies I wanted to see, I was disappointed but still glad I had seen them.  Now onto the Fockers. At least I will laugh there.

No comments:

Post a Comment